Are you planning a trip to Croatia and do you want to travel easily there? Here is our guide to car rental in Zagreb!
Capital of Croatia, Zagreb is located in the northwest of the country, inland. For this reason, it is often neglected by tourists who prefer the cities of the coast: Dubrovnik, Zadar, Pula or Split. However, the Croatian capital conceals many treasures. You will appreciate its architecture, its museums, its coffee culture and its authentic atmosphere. It is also ideally located for exploring the Croatian hinterland.
Do you want to discover the city by car or are you planning a road trip from this city? So, find out everything you need to know about car rental in Zagreb.
Read also :
Where to stay in Zagreb?
Top Airbnb Rentals in Zagreb
The 10 best hotels in Zagreb
Where to rent a car in Zagreb?
At the airport
If you plan to rent a car in Zagreb, allow between 20 and 30 minutes to reach the city center by car from the airport. Several car rental companies are located at this airport such as Avantcar, NOVA or Mack.
To ensure your arrival, prefer online booking if possible, especially with sites like Rentalcars. You will then be sure to get the type of vehicle you want on the date and time you want.
Rent a car at Zagreb Airport
You can also reach the city center from the airport by public transport. Once in the center, you can always rent a car in Zagreb quite easily. Several companies await you there, such as Sixt, Nova, Avantcar or Enterprise.
However, we recommend that you rent a car at Zagreb airport upon arrival. You will then have your vehicle directly at your disposal to make your transfer to the center, move around town and discover its surroundings afterwards.
Itinerary in Zagreb by car: some ideas for a road trip
To visit the city in every corner, what better than to rent a car in Zagreb? To feel free to move around and discover all the must-do things to do in Zagreb, it’s a great idea! Here are some ideas for itineraries in and around town.
Zagreb 2-4 Day Itinerary
- Discover the upper town of Zagreb, historic heart of the capital. Admire the iconic rooftop of the sublime St. Mark’s Church. Also visit the elegant Cathedral of Zagreb and lose yourself in the narrow streets of the historic center.
- Climb to Strossmartre, considered the mini Montmartre of Zagreb. Up there, you will enjoy an unobstructed view of the entire capital. On the esplanade, concerts and shows are often played during spring and summer.
- Visit the Gric Tunnel, an atypical and surprising place. The tunnel was once a World War II refuge, now a major cultural venue in the capital.
- Explore the lower town: start from the main square Jelacic with its Austro-Hungarian facades. Then stroll down Ilica, Zagreb’s main street. Take the opportunity to go shopping or visit some exciting museums.
- Admire the beautiful National Theater of Croatia with its incredible architecture.
- Enjoy some peace and quiet in the city’s beautiful parks, Tuskanac in the lead with its Summer Garden. It is an ideal place to have a drink during the summer.
7 Day Zagreb Itinerary
Here are some more ideas for a week-long stay in the Croatian capital:
- Discover the Dolac market : this authentic market is the ideal place to do your shopping during your stay.
- Visit the gigantic Maksimir Park to the east of the city. You will find a zoo, several lakes and dozens of paths for beautiful walks.
- Take a trip to Hrelic, the Zagreb flea market, to unearth some atypical souvenirs.
- Discover the Museum of Broken Relationships, a singular and astonishing museum.
- Take the time to do a tasting of Croatian wines.
- Go to Lake Jarun to bathe on the pebble beaches, practice water sports or simply enjoy some festivals during the summer.
- Go skiing on Slijeme Mountain during the beautiful winter season.
Itinerary of two weeks and more
Are you coming to Croatia for more than two weeks? Then you will surely want to leave the Croatian capital for some more distant excursions. Your rental car will then be very practical:
- Enjoy beautiful hikes in the Samoborska Mountains located on the border with Slovenia.
- Stop also in the charming city of Samobor located between Zagreb and the mountains.
- Discover the beautiful baroque town of Varazdin, located just an hour’s drive north of Zagreb.
- Visit Plitvice Lakes from Zagreb with your rented vehicle. This incredible place is only two hours drive from the capital.
Book a car in Zagreb
Your itinerary is complete? So all you have to do is rent a car in Zagreb to get started on your discoveries. To find the best value for money, we recommend using a price comparator like Rentalcars. The latter gathers all car rental companies in Zagreb and compares them with each other.
Thanks to this platform, you will be able to adjust your search according to your specific criteria. First, you simply have to choose your dates and the type of vehicle. It will then be possible to search among the many online car rental companies to find the best option.
How much does a rental car cost in Zagreb?
Car rental companies in Zagreb usually adjust their rates depending on the season and vehicle category. Some rental companies will also charge you extra for certain options. This is the case if, for example, you want to drop off the rented vehicle in another city.
Count approximately between €60 and €100 per day for your car rental in Zagreb. For theft and collision insurance, then count 40 € more.
For a week
The price for a one-week car rental in Zagreb evolves according to the same variables as before. You will sometimes pay less for a long-term rental. In all cases, plan an average amount including between 300 and 550 € for a week.
Driving in Zagreb: the traffic rules you need to know
As in France, driving in Croatia is on the right. The speed is limited to 50 km/h in urban areas, 90 km/h on national roads and 130 km/h on motorways. Please note that highway signs are colored green.
Children under 2 must also be seated in a baby seat. Children from 2 to 5 years old must be in a suitable child seat. As for children under 12, they cannot sit in the front passenger seat.
For parking, it is almost always regulated. We therefore invite you to always opt for car parks or spaces with markings on the ground.
Our advice for your car rental in Zagreb
To ensure you have a good car rental experience in Zagreb, here are some tips. First, we recommend adding a full warranty in most cases.
Then always check the insurance conditions when you want to rent a car in Zagreb. Also consider taking unlimited mileage for more freedom.
Finally, it is advisable to rent a car in Zagreb in advance to take advantage of the best prices and ensure a hassle-free trip.
Book a car in Zagreb
Renting a car in Zagreb: what conditions to meet?
To rent a car in Zagreb, you must be at least 21 years old and have a valid driving licence. An international driving license is not required. The French driving license is normally recognized in Croatia. You will then need to bring the gray card and the international green car insurance card.
Limited or unlimited mileage?
If your trip is 5 days or more, we highly recommend renting a car in Zagreb with unlimited mileage. You will then have full freedom.
If you are visiting Zagreb for a weekend or have a specific itinerary, you can choose a limited mileage. This will reduce your expenses.
Do you need insurance to rent a car in Zagreb?
We advise you to take out insurance for a car rental in Zagreb. You can then enjoy your vacation without having to worry about an accident or theft.
Where to park in Zagreb?
There are no free parking lots in the center of Zagreb. For your parking, you will have to opt for a covered or uncovered paying car park. There are several in the center and around. You can also park on the spaces in the street. Please pay attention to the different restriction zones.
In Zagreb, they are delimited by colors according to the rules and tariffs. Red zones are limited to 2 hours of parking for 12 HRK. Yellow zones are limited to 3 hours for 5 HRK per hour and blue zones are normally unlimited for 2 HRK per hour.
What is the most practical type of car to visit Zagreb?
If you stay in town, we recommend that you opt for a compact and practical car. But you can rent a car in Istanbul according to your desires and needs. Just be careful of the size of your vehicle for your parking lot.
Book a car in Zagreb